The Pennsylvania State University first admitted 35 women in 1909. As female enrollment began to increase local “social clubs” were created. In 1922, a group called “La Camaraderie” was formed as 1 of 4 social women’s clubs. Eight years later, this group became Alpha Chi chapter of Delta Gamma Fraternity. It was May 17, 1930 Alpha Chi was officially installed on the Pennsylvania State University Campus in State College, PA. The installation service was hosted at Delta Sigma Phi. The banquet following this was held at the University Club and many present and former officers and the Anchora editor was present. Alpha Beta chapter-Swarthmore contributed an original song for the new chapter and serenaded all with many beautiful Delta Gamma songs. The charter presentation was made by Fraternity President Mary Halstead and received by Sarah Wentzel. First Vice-President, Florence Bringham presented the certificates.
Since this our Alpha Chi chapter has received many awards, several times including, Best US Chapter, Activity Award, Pledge Award, Outstanding Chapter Award, Patricia Peterson Danielson Award, Division 3: Outstanding Collegiate Chapter Award, Foundation Labels for Education Award, along with many other specific Penn State achievements.